Net Nanny for Mac FAQs
1. How do I install Net Nanny for Mac?
Go to https://www.netnanny.com/downloads/ and select the Download for the Net Nanny you want to install (there is only 1 installation for Mac)
- You will be asked to if you would like to Save the File or Cancel - select Save the File. The best option when saving the file is to save it to the Desktop so that you can find it easily when the download completes
- At this point it is highly recommended that you disable any anti-virus/anti-spyware or firewall programs you may have running thru the remainder of the Net Nanny install. They can be turned back on once the installation is complete
- Go to your desktop and double click on the Net Nanny for Windows install icon – select Run
- Review the End-User License Agreement and click "I accept the terms in the license agreement" and hit Next
- Select Installation Folder – defaults to C:Program Files... click Next
- Ready to Install... click Next
- Net Nanny will begin installing and may take a few minutes
- When Completing the Net Nanny Setup Wizard screen comes up click Finish
- Net Nanny will then start the communication with our servers to establish a connection with your account
- You will be asked to Sign In with your existing account credentials. (If you don't already have an account click on "Don't have one? Create one.")
- After you enter your credentials you will be able to see the Users you have already created and be given the option to Add User. As you add the Users you will then be able to select during the installation which one you want to be tied to that specific computer.
- Once you have selected the User you want tied to the computer, Net Nanny will finish the installation.
2. How do I know which version of Net Nanny for Mac I have?
Net Nanny for Mac was released on 12/20/2013. If you purchased or installed prior to this date then your version is Net Nanny 2.0 for Mac. Please visit your “my account” at https://www.netnanny.com/account and find your existing Mac license then look for the “upgrade” button to upgrade to version 3.0 for free.
3. How do I get customer service support for Net Nanny?
4. Will Net Nanny work on any Mac and which versions of Mac does it support?
Net Nanny 3.0 for Mac will run on any Mac computer that has OS X 10.7 and above.
You can check the version of Mac OS X on most devices by selecting The Apple in the top left hand corner > About This Mac
5. How do I make changes to Net Nanny settings once its installed?
After the initial installation, you can make changes to the settings for Net Nanny user(s) from any web browser. You do not need to have the protected device in your hand to view or change its settings. Simply login to the Administration Console (at https://admin.netnanny.com or select "Login" from the top right corner of the page. Log in using the email and password created when you purchased your Net Nanny for Android account.
Alternatively, you can click on the Net Nanny icon in the task bar and then click “Administrative Console”
6. Can I prevent my child from accessing a specific website with Net Nanny for Android?
Yes. As in question 4 above, log in to https://admin.netnanny.com, click on Users and select the User. Then under the Allow/Block Tab click on Always Blocked and enter the site.
7. What will prevent a user from uninstalling the Net Nanny for Mac application?
Net Nanny 3.0 for Mac has built-in removal prevention. Removal of the Net Nanny software is username/password protected and requires a Net Nanny Administrator password before allowing the application to be uninstalled. The Administrator password is the one you used when creating your Net Nanny for Android account. An Administrator username/password is also required to access other areas within Net Nanny, which could potentially allow a user to uninstall or disable Net Nanny, such as Application Management or Running Processes.
8. How can I uninstall Net Nanny 3.0 for Mac?
Because Net Nanny is designed to block unauthorized removal you cannot just drag the Net Nanny icon to the trash bin. There are 2 supported ways to remove Net Nanny from your Mac.
Important: Both of these methods require that you know the Net Nanny Administrative password.
Method 1: From your Mac, select Finder, the Applications. In the Applications section you will see a Net Nanny folder. Double click the folder and then double click “Uninstall” icon. You will then be prompted for the Net Nanny Administrative password and then uninstall will complete.
Method 2: From your Mac, located the downloaded “dmg” file that you used to install Net Nanny. May times you can find this by looking in your “Downloads”. Double click this file as if you were about to start an install of Net Nanny .Click the Uninstall Net Nanny icon. select Finder, the Applications. In the Applications section you will see a Net Nanny folder. You will then be prompted for the Net Nanny Administrative password and then uninstall will complete.
Note: It is highly recommended that you reboot your Mac after uninstall Net Nanny. Failing to reboot after uninstalling may cause issues with re-installing the software or other Internet related programs.
9. When I make a change to the settings for Net Nanny in the Administration Console, how long before it is applied to the phone or tablet that the software is protecting?
Changes made in the Administration Console to the settings of Net Nanny for Android are applied within a minute to the device — if the device is connected to Internet. If a device is not connected to the Internet, the changes are immediately applied the next time the device connects to the Internet.
10. What is a "User" and why do I need to create Users?
Net Nanny for Mac associates settings with a "User." Users do not necessarily need to represent a single person, and can be named anything that will help you recognize the settings for the person or group you wish to protect. Net Nanny for Mac allows you to create as many "Users" as you like. Each User can have custom settings for allowed/blocked/warned websites and categories of websites and many other customizations. Users are inactive until you "Login" with them on a device that has the Net Nanny for Mac software installed. This is done by clicking Net Nanny icon in the taskbar and selecting “Login”.
11. Online History Reporting
Online History Reporting is no longer supported. To disable this feature, go to https://admin.netnanny.com/homeadmin/login/auth and click the 'Users' tab. For each user, choose their profile and then go to User Settings > Additional Settings and uncheck the box next to Enable Online Browsing History. This will stop the prompt to install the extension/plugin.